In 2016, Limnology and Oceanography published the special issue "Methane Emissions from Oceans, and Freshwater Habitats: New Perspectives and Feedbacks on Climate." The special issue included 26 papers highlighting research progress and current science on methane production, consumption, and emissions from freshwater, estuarine and marine systems. In this companion virtual issue, we have compiled 22 of the most frequently cited historical papers about methane from the L&O suite of journals in one convenient location. This virtual issue includes papers on estimating and measuring methane, gas transfer velocities, biological and geochemical controls on methane oxidation, methantrophic communities, methane bubbles and evasion to the atmosphere, contributions of methane to the food webs, and, methane emissions from a diverse range of aquatic systems including streams, rivers, lakes, floodplains, sediments and estuaries. We hope this resource will be helpful to researchers and educators interested in methane dynamics in aquatic systems.
Log in for Access
Log in for access to all ASLO journal content if you are an ASLO member.
to ASLO.org for access) (Note: you will be redirected
Editor's Choice feature is unavailable for this journal
NEW! Companion Virtual Issue to L&O Special Issue on Methane
Freely access 26 papers on research progress and current science on methane. Read Companion Virtual Issue to L&O Special Issue on Methane now!
NEW! L&O Video Abstracts
L&O Special Issue on MethaneRead Methane Emissions from Oceans, Coasts, and Freshwater Habitats: New Perspectives and Feedbacks on Climate now!
L&O 60th Anniversary Virtual Issue
- ASLO joins aquatic societies in opposing repeat of Waters of the United States (WOTUS) rule
- Announcing the 2019 L&O Special Issue "Long-term perspectives in aquatic research"
- Funding available for 2017 ASLO Global Outreach Initiative
- ASLO and CASS write Congress in support of science funding
- 2017 Award and Plenary Presentation Videos Are Online
- Resources from sexual misconduct workshop at 2017 Aquatic Sciences Meeting available on ASLO website