Limnology & Oceanography e-Lectures are prepared by experts on various topics in aquatic sciences. They are peer-reviewed and fully citable (i.e. with ISSN and doi numbers). L&O e-Lectures are intended as a practical resource for aquatic scientists for use at the postsecondary level or for the public at large. L&O e-Lectures include presentation slides, detailed lecture notes to facilitate lecture usage and recommended reading lists for lecture users and targeted audiences. Presentation slides are available in PowerPoint format and are both PC and Mac compatible. The lectures fall into three main categories:
- Special Topics in Limnology and Oceanography - contains lectures on a specialized aquatic sciences topic designed for one 45-minute period.
- Contemporary Issues in Limnology and Oceanography - addresses topics that are ‘in the news.’ Lectures in this series include a broad overview lecture with a small suite of three to five more detailed accompanying lectures. Examples of timely subjects such as invasive species, ocean acidification, hypoxia/anoxia, eutrophication, toxic algae, oil spills, or fisheries crashes are perfect for this category.
- Fundamentals in Limnology and Oceanography - designed for suites of lectures created primarily for use at the post-secondary level spanning a full semester of limnology or oceanography foundation courses. Examples of Fundamentals e-Lectures could include Introductory Limnology or Oceanography, Physical/Geological/Chemical/Biological Limnology or Oceanography, Marine Ecology, Hydrology, Biogeochemistry, Modeling, or Paleogeology
More information is available in our Author Guidelines
Aims and Scope
Funding agencies now require proposals to not only provide justification for the intellectual merit of their work, but must also include a plan for activities demonstrating the broader impacts on society. For many, the task is arduous and elusive, with outcomes difficult to assess. L&O e-Lectures, a new publication from ASLO, offers a fresh and effective alternative for addressing societal benefit requirements by providing a high impact venue for publication in a peer-reviewed lecture format. The net outcome of publishing in L&O e-Lectures is win-win: a researcher submits their findings for publication in a traditional publication venue (eg.L&O, Nature, Science, PNAS, MEPS) and can also submit a companion publication in L&O e-Lectures.
Peer-reviewed and fully citable publication
- Variety of topics in aquatic sciences
- For use at postsecondary level or public at large
- Compliments traditional research publications
- Effectively addresses Broader Impacts requirements
- Open Access!
Log in for Access
Log in for access to all ASLO journal content if you are an ASLO member.
to ASLO.org for access) (Note: you will be redirected
- Cross peer review: what is it and how is it being used at Limnology & Oceanography: Letters?
- ASLO statement on EPA's censorship of scientists
- ASLO Announces 2017 Global Outreach Initiative Award Winners
- Congratulations to the winners of the 2017 ASLO Photo Contest!
- ASLO joins aquatic societies in opposing repeat of Waters of the United States (WOTUS) rule